Monday, February 9, 2009

Storytime

Ok, now I will warn you that I think this story is HILARIOUS but you may not think so. If you don't please just laugh with me (not at me)!!

My student teaching consisted of teaching for 6 weeks each in two different schools, two different grades. My first placement was in a tough (scary) middle school teaching 7th grade English. We all know that they understand sarcasm and such because they practice on their parents daily! Even though this isn't really a story of sarcasm, it shows how innocent and trusting little kids are and how they sometimes really don't understand what in the world we are talking about!! My second placement was with a wonderful group of 2nd graders. I love those kids (they helped me realize that teaching really is my thing because I was ready to quit during the 7th grade placement! Anyway, let me set the tone for this story. . . . . During my student teaching I was pregnant and sick as a dog (all the time - all day long) and I am clumsy (very) so I was really having to concentrate on walking, not falling. I had a pair of shoes that were thick soled and very comfortable but sometimes tripped me up because I didn't pick my feet up high enough. . . . ok so now you should have a picture of me with a group of 2nd graders lining up for lunch. I am walking out of the classroom reminding everyone to get in line, keep your hands to yourself, face the front, get off of the wall (we were in a brand new school), be quiet and so on and so forth. I am walking up the hall toward the front of the line when I stubbed my toe on the carpet in my big thick rubber soled shoes and nearly crashed all over the floor. The kids weren't really paying that much attention to me and when I recovered I said, "Did ya'll see the carpet grab my foot and try to make me fall?". In the next moment when I looked back up and looked at my kids, they were staring at the floor looking to see where the carpet thing was that had grabbed me and tried to make me fall. Well at the precious looks of concern on their face trying to find the bad carpet, I nearly fell down because I was laughing so hard. They even ask me where it was. I still chuckle as I write this because they were so cute and so concerned about the carpet monster.

So, that is my story. I hope you enjoyed it and maybe got a little bit of a laugh.

Have a great day!!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer said...

That really is funny - I just love how the little ones grab what we say..and believe us - every word!! They're so sweet :)

Glad you didn't fall all the way down! Thanks for a good giggle!

Copyright

© Life in My Lane: All photographs and text on this site are the sole property of Life in My Lane and may not be used or copied without express consent of Life in My Lane.