Tuesday, November 18, 2008

It's Tuesday and I am thankful for. . . .

the kindness of strangers. Today my mom and I went to Hobby Lobby because I needed a picture frame with the spots for pics that were not the same size. We looked and there wasn't anything that would work. Mom suggested that we just have a mat cut. When it was our turn to talk to the gentleman taking orders, we pulled out a picture and two poems that we needed the mat for. It has taken me a long time to get this particular thing taken care of, not because I didn't want to do it but because it would be hard. The gentleman measured the items we had given him and told him the size frame we were going to use. He then ask me what color I wanted to use. I began trying different colors, the photo is black and white and the poems are on peach colored paper. I began trying different colors and wasn't finding anything that I liked and as I did this, tears began to fall. You may be asking yourself why picking a mat color could bring me to tears. Well, it wasn't having to choose a color, it was about what was going into the frame. You see, it was two poems, one to daddy from child and the other one was to mommy from child and the picture is of our precious baby boy who was born with angel wings almost a year ago (the picture and poems were given to us by the hospital). Well, the gentleman was able to cut the mat while we waited and as he came out from the back he had a strange look on his face. He came around the counter, put his arm around me and told me that he had been through the same thing and walked off (he didn't even charge us for the mat). It is amazing how when you are at a point in your life that you think no one can possibly understand what you are going through, someone comes by gives you a hug and reminds you that you are not alone in your struggle. So, a huge THANK YOU to the gentleman at the framing counter at Hobby Lobby and the reason why I am thankful for the kindness of strangers.

PS: And a huge thank you to my new friend Mel who has been my rock when I needed a shoulder to cry on. :)

5 comments:

Susie Homemaker said...

That man is an Angel too...God Bless you and your family...

Warm Wishes,
Susie

laughinglioness.lisa@gmail.com said...

What a beautiful moment- thank-you for sharing. Blessings to you!

Jennifer said...

What a sweet post....sending you a "bloggy hug"!! What a gift to have your photo...

Jodi said...

That's a great story! It's wonderful to know there are people like this man in our world! :)

Mrs. H. said...

This post was so beautifully written. I am so glad you will have the treasured picture of your baby and special poems framed together, and also the memory of a stranger's kindness.

Copyright

© Life in My Lane: All photographs and text on this site are the sole property of Life in My Lane and may not be used or copied without express consent of Life in My Lane.