Saturday, November 10, 2012

Show Us Your Life - Side Dishes

This week at Kellys Korner is all about side dishes.  I have been thinking about what I will be making for Thanksgiving at my aunts house.  There is a salad I would like to make but I don't have the recipe for it so I am hoping (hint hint) that maybe my sister Rae will make it.  I am pretty sure that I will be making Sweet Potato Casserole (this is what my hubby wants. . . .he never liked sweet potatoes until he tasted this casserole!) so here is the recipe for it.

Sweet Potato Casserole

3 cups mashed sweet potatoes (drained)
3/4 stick of oleo
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon & nutmeg (I use pumpkin pie spice)
1 tablespoon vanilla

Mix and bake at 450 degrees for 45 minutes.

Spread with a topping of:
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 stick oleo
1/2 cup pecans
1 cup crushed post toasties

Return to oven for a few minutes.
Enjoy!!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
This is a dish my Mom always made for the holidays.  It is so good.  I haven't ever made it because I don't have a jello mold.  One of these days I will be looking for a tupperware mold just like Mom's! 

Lime Jello Mold


one tall cane pineapple
two small packages lime jello or one large  (Mom would also make it with raspberry)

two small packages cream cheese or one large
1/2 cup chopped pecans
whipping cream or cool whip

Drain juice from pineapple. Head and add jello. Stir well and sit in refrigerator to cool.
Mash cream cheese and add pineapple and nuts. Add to cooled jello mixture. Fold in 1/2 pint of whippin cream beaten stiff or 1 small container of cool whip. Pour into a tupperware jello mold and refrigerate.  You might also be able to use a bundt pan to make this.  It is delicious!!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
This is another one of my Mom's recipes and it is so easy.


Green Rice Casserole
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup celery
brown in 1 tablespoon butter

1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 jar cheese whiz (small)
1 pkg. frozen chopped broccoli
salt, pepper, paprika
2 cups (before cooking) rice

Mix ingredients and bake in casserole for 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
My hubby loves, loves, loves corn but instead of the usual corn casserole I make I am going to try a new one. . . . . .one with bacon!!!  You just can't go wrong with bacon!!

Recipe: Creamy Parmesan Corn


3 cans of corn, drained
1 (8oz.) package of cream cheese, soft
1/2 stick of butter, soft
1 cup of parmesan cheese, finely grated
1/2 pound of bacon, cooked crispy
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a slow cooker add the above ingredients.
Cook on high for 3 hours, stirring occasionally or on low for 6 hours.
Serve immediately.

This is a Simply Delicious recipe.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
And last but not least I am thinking about these rolls.  I saw this on The Pioneer Woman this morning and my friend Mrs. H has made them for church luncheons before and they are really good and look pretty easy to boot!!!

Buttered Rosemary Rolls

Ingredients

15 frozen, unbaked, un-risen dinner rolls
Melted butter
Coarsely chopped fresh rosemary
Coarse sea salt

Directions
Place the dinner rolls in a large lightly buttered skillet, allowing some space between the rolls. Cover with a dish towel or cloth napkin and set aside in a warm place to rise for at least 2 to 3 hours.
When risen, the rolls should be poufy and soft. Brush melted butter onto the rolls. Then sprinkle the rolls with chopped rosemary. Finally, sprinkle with sea salt.
Bake (as instructions on the packet - usually 400 degrees F) for 15 to 20 minutes. Don't be alarmed if you pull them out of the oven and they've risen way over the surface of the pan. Within a minute or two, they'll calm right down.


So there you go. . . . . .some simple and yummy recipes and what I think I am going to make for Thanksgiving.  I hope you enjoy!!
For more recipes, be sure to visit my other blog Giggles Cooks.  You will find the link on the sidebar.



No comments:

Copyright

© Life in My Lane: All photographs and text on this site are the sole property of Life in My Lane and may not be used or copied without express consent of Life in My Lane.