Monday, November 22, 2010

Keep Your Fork

This was my blogpost on the blog I have about our journey with my Mom's illness but I thought I would bring it over here to share with you.

KEEP YOUR FORK
A woman was diagnosed with a terminal illness and given three months to live. She asked her preacher to come by her house to discuss her funeral.

She told him which songs she wanted sung at the service, what scriptures to read, and what dress she wanted to be buried in. She also requested to be buried with her favorite Bible. As he prepared to leave, she suddenly remembered one more thing. "I have one more request," she said excitedly. "What's that?" the preacher replied. "This is very important,: she continued. "I want to be buried with a fork in my right hand."


The preacher looked at her, not knowing quite what to say.


"That surprises you?" she asked?


"To be honest, I am puzzled," he replied.


The woman explained, "In all my years of attending church fellowships and potluck dinners, I always remembered that when the dishes were being cleared, someone would inevitably lean over and say, 'Keep your fork.' It was my favorite park, because I knew that meant something better was coming. . .like velvety chocolate cake or deep-dish apple pie. Something wonderful! So I want people to see me in that casket with a fork in my hand. When they ask you, 'What's with the fork?' Then I want you to tell them, 'She believed the best was yet to come.'"

I received a copy of House to House, Heart to Heart from the Jacksonville church of Christ in Alabama and this was in there. It made me think of Mom for a couple of reasons, one being that Mom loved dessert. . . .a lot and second she believed that the best was yet to come and now she is being able to enjoy it. BUT that doesn't make us miss her any less or hurt any less. It does help to remind me that she is in a much better place without the worries, hurts, problems that we have. I love you Mom and I know that you are enjoying the best.

1 comment:

Donna said...

That's a great story, Giggles...what a nugget of truth that truly, the best is yet to come...some day very soon!

Happy Thanksgiving to you...hope all goes well for you. We are going to my mother-in-law's, so the only thing I am baking is a pumpkin roll. :)

Have a great day!

Copyright

© Life in My Lane: All photographs and text on this site are the sole property of Life in My Lane and may not be used or copied without express consent of Life in My Lane.