Saturday, August 10, 2013

End of Summer


I am calling this the official end to our summer.  Mr. Giggles has Friday off during the summer and this Friday was his last one.  We went shopping yesterday to take advantage of the Tax Free Weekend.  The crowds weren’t too bad but then we only went to Academy, Sam’s and Wal-Mart.  I got some new tennis shoes and a few tank tops to wear under other shirts that are not “school” appropriate and Mr. Giggles got a couple pair of shorts, socks and a t-shirt.  And then we had a late lunch at our favorite hole in the wall Mexican food restaurant which was yummy, yummy as usual!  We made a late night excursion last night to get gas for one of our trucks and then we hit up the new Bahama Bucks snowcone stand.  We only had to wait in line for 12 minutes which is pretty good (it was also 9:45 at night).  I got white coconut and cream and Mr. got blue coconut and cream.  They were ok but when I have something with coconut, I want A LOT of coconut flavor which these did not have.  Our hometown JJ’s Snowcones still has the best in our opinion but they don’t stay open as late and they are much further away.

Today has been a lazy day so far.  I didn’t get up until 10 and it is almost noon and we are just now getting breakfast done.  Well, Mr. G is getting breakfast done.  He is making waffles, sausage and eggs.  I think this is only the third time our 16 year old waffle maker has been used.  The last time it was used was when we had a waffle breakfast at work which was at least 6 years ago.  I am not a big waffle fan but last time we went to my sister’s house we had them and I ate mine with honey and they were ok.  I don’t like syrup or pancakes!! 

I don’t know what the weather has been like where you live (I am very jealous of those of you who have been getting rain) but it has been very hot (over 100 every day this week) and very dry around here.  In the past two weeks there have been several grassfires and those make me nervous.  We live on a farm with grass (very dead) and trees all around us and people who think that they can control their fire should they have one.  So far everyone around us is playing it smart. 

As of right now I still have not gotten a job.  There is an instructional aide position opening at my husband’s school and one at one of the elementary schools in CS that I have applied for.  Even though they aren’t teaching positions, it would be a job and a foot in the door so that hopefully I can get back into the classroom as a teacher.  Prayers and good thoughts appreciated!  If I do not get either one of these jobs I will have to look for something else.  Substitute teaching just doesn’t pay the bills.

And now back to the conversation regarding the end of summer. . . . . . .the college students are heading back into town which means a dramatic rise in the population around here which means the regulars can’t get into the hip restaurants because of all the students and their parents.  Then comes football season and that is a whole different nightmare in and of itself!!

Well, I have got to go so I can do some grocery shopping for the casserole we are taking to the church luncheon tomorrow.

This picture shows where I wish I was right now instead of in the heat!!
 

No comments:

Copyright

© Life in My Lane: All photographs and text on this site are the sole property of Life in My Lane and may not be used or copied without express consent of Life in My Lane.