Thursday, January 27, 2011

2nd Grade

I have been teaching 2nd grade this week.  Boy, have they stressed me out.  Yesterday I had the worst day I have had teaching in a while.  Thankfully today was better.  Not much but enough.  They did make me laugh today.  Yesterday when I was doing out math lesson (and if you know me, you know that math gives me the hives so I am very nervous about ruining math for some young mind) and I said something like, "Ok, we have $0.75 and we are going to the candy store and we have enough money to buy a whopping big candy bar".  They ask me what "whoppin" meant and I explained it to them.  Well, today they were thinking that whoppin is a something not a way to describe it.  Today we were doing the same type of lesson (subtracting money) and I said that we were going to be going to the "toy" store to spend our money.  One little boy (who is actually a 1st grader but is very good in math so he comes to this class) excitedly yells out that he wants to buy some whoppin.  I ask him what he wanted and he said that he wanted to buy some whoppin.  I laughed so now when we do our math lessons we pretend to be doing yardwork to earn money to buy things. . . . .like whoppins!  I have to say that today math was the best part of my day (I can't believe I actually said that!).  The rest of the day was spent repeatedly repeating these words. . . . .BE QUIET. . . .STOP TALKING. . .BE QUIET. . . .STOP TALKING and so on and so forth.  I told the kids during Bible (while they were arguing and such) that I was going to go home and pull out all of my hair because they were giving me a headache.  Didn't seem to bother them that their sub may come to school tomorrow bald!!  Well, I had better close up for tonight.
Days like yesterday and today are the kinds of days that I really need my Mom to talk to.  She would have loved the whoppin story.  And yesterday she would have told me that things would be ok and that I was doing a good job and that she was proud of me.  I really miss her.

No comments:

Copyright

© Life in My Lane: All photographs and text on this site are the sole property of Life in My Lane and may not be used or copied without express consent of Life in My Lane.