Thursday, October 2, 2008

Tantalizing Thursday


Well, we finally made it to October. Someones (mine) birthday (mine) is coming up (mine) but I won't mention (mine) any names (mine)! Oh, my g-mom (grandmother) and bro - in - law share their birth date which is this month. So they (and me) get to celebrate their b-days for the whole month!

Enough about birthdays. I guess I will talk about work. So far I have only subbed one day (this week) (today) at a school I hadn't been to before. Although I don't really liked subbing, I have learned some very useful information. I have found that most adults at the schools I sub at seem to look down their noses at the "subs". I went another day with only one or two adults talking to me. When I become "real" teacher, I will be friendly to all subs and help them as much as possible. I never did learn where the faculty bathroom was today. Enough whining about work. . . .I had a good time with my 3rd graders I taught today. I wouldn't mind working with this group again.

Since I haven't cooked lately or added any new recipes, I decided today was the day to add a yummy Rachael Ray recipe. If you make this, you have to let me know how it is. Well, I guess that is all for today. Hope everyone has a wonderful fall weekend.

Mean Green Tortilla Soup

Ingredients
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups water
3 ears of corn, kernels removed (reserve shaved corn cobs)
1 package corn tortillas, cut into strips
4 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
1 package (3 pieces) chicken thighs or breasts
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, grated
2 teaspoon cumin
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
10 to 12 tomatillos, husks removed - can substitute a jar of chunky salsa verde sauce
2 cups cilantro, chopped
Zest and juice of 2 limes
2 cups jack cheese, shredded
3 avocados, chopped (optional)

Preparation: Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a large pot, bring the chicken stock and water to a bubble with the reserved corn cobs and let simmer for about 10 minutes.

Place the corn tortilla strips onto a baking sheet and spray them with some cooking spray. Transfer to the oven and bake until crispy, 10 minutes.

Preheat a skillet over medium-high heat with some EVOO about 2 turns around the pan. Add the chicken, browning on all sides, then place into the oven for about 7-8 minutes, until juices run clear and no pink remains in the center. Once the chicken is done cooking, remove from oven and let rest before cutting into strips.
Preheat a heavy-bottomed pot with remaining 2 tablespoons of EVOO. Add the onion, garlic and cumin, and cook till soft, about 3-4 minutes. Add the corn kernels along with the jalapeño.

While the veggies are cooking, puree the tomatillos in a food processor until somewhat smooth. Add the purée, stock and chicken to the pot along with the veggies.

Simmer for 10-15 minutes. Remove the soup from the heat and add in the cilantro, lime zest and juice, and serve it up garnished with a big handful of jack cheese, tortilla and avocado.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Hey,

Hope to see more from you soon. Your blog is so fun to read. I left you something on my blog when you have a chance to read it.

Jennifer

Copyright

© Life in My Lane: All photographs and text on this site are the sole property of Life in My Lane and may not be used or copied without express consent of Life in My Lane.